3 October 2009

Emerald Mapping

So after hectic preparations, the MX5 made the 3 hour trip to Emerald under it's own lack-of-power on Wednesday. Shit journey, turns out the throttle pot on the bodies was fried, so once we swapped that for a new one and rewired the loom it was good to go.



I'm not normally fussed about sticking cars on the dyno, but I'd changed quite a bit on this without testing it beforehand so was hoping it would be fine. Turns out the only problem was with the fuel tank vent spitting a bit of fuel out, must have been getting hot or something as all the airflow was going through the bumper mouth.



Drives smooth as you like now, throttle response is immense of course and it does sound good. It's a bit ricer as I had to lose a silencer to add a flex section to the exhaust, but I can live with it. Dave Walker is a bit of a hero in the UK and rightfully so, I've driven a few cars he's mapped and they were all fantastic so I'm happy mine is as good now. I'm being robbed of some top end by my shite inlet manifold, the ports are much smaller than those in the head and above 6000rpm it's strangling the engine a bit, I'm probably 10bhp down on what I should be. But I'm fucking broke, so for now I can't do anything about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment